Sunday, July 28, 2019

Day 27 - Mataranka Homestead

Good morning Mataranka Homestead!

An early morning inquisitive visitor popped in to say hello this morning, and as I came out of the van to take a photo I could see there were actually about 5 of them wandering around the park to see what they could pick up from the campers leftovers. After yesterday's scene from an Alfred Hitchcock movie - I didn't trust my luck at having more of these at my doorstep.



Shane is very happy now - we finally have Crocodile warning signs.  He says it now officially feels like we are in the Northern Territory!


We popped in to visit Alan at his site across the other side of the camp and look over his lovely "Winnie" the Winnebago.  I could definitely live in her!  It was a similar design to one we had liked at Jayco in Geelong when we took "Isabella" to be serviced before we left.  I guess, money permitting, should we ever be in a position to not physically be able to do caravanning at some point then a "Winnie" would be perfect to continue to travel.  Having had caravans all my life I find the convenience of having a car when you reach your destination works better for us as we are always going off taking photos but I can also see the advantages to not having to connect and disconnect every day.

The three of us then went for a 1.2km walk down one of the local tracks to "Stevie's Hole" a waterhole connected to the river through a vast plantation of giant palm trees and bushland.











After lunch and picking up a few basic supplies from Mataranka township, we took another shorter track to the river.  I was amazed to find that someone had lit a campfire down by the river that was still smouldering when we got there, obviously having not been put out properly from the night before.  That coupled with various items of rubbish including drink bottles and chip packets just really continues to reinforce my opinion of how stupid and disrespectful some people are.  The last time we were at this location we came across a crocodile trap - we were less than keen to continue exploring that part of the area at the time.  The trap this year was no longer set up so we ventured along the river bank a little to take some photos.






Shane and I wandered back over to the restaurant to take some photos.  I'm having a chuckle here as I said to Shane I wonder how long it will be before the photos get used to promote the band.  Sure enough less than 12 hours later they were up on Facebook with absolutely no credit to the photographer....... for the second time in 3 years.  We headed back to camp and sat outside until about 9.00pm as it was such a beautiful night yet again, and it was then time to start packing up outside ready for our next leg of the journey tomorrow.







14 km
Total - 4,725 km
Top today 31°c - expecting overnight 12°c

No comments:

Post a Comment